Strong winds and storms can cause all kinds of headaches for property owners and tenants. We’d like to give you an idea of what we do when we get a call from a tenant telling us there’s been some damage to your home. While all situations are different, the procedure remains basically the same.
Here’s what happens:
- Your tenant will contact us about the damage.
- Your Property Manager will contact the appropriate maintenance company and ask them to fix anything that needs urgent repairs. They’ll also call you to advise you of the situation.
- During this phone call, we’ll confirm your insurance details. We’ll also ask you for written authority to deal with the claim.
- Your Property Manager will contact your insurer and advise that a claim is pending.
- The maintenance company will go ahead and make the necessary temporary repairs and quote to repair or replace any other damage.
- Your Property Manager will send your insurer a quote. We’ll advise you when this is done.
- Once the quote has been approved, your insurer will get in touch with the maintenance company directly.
- Repairs will be carried out.
- The maintenance company will send an invoice straight to your insurer for payment.
Simple, right? The most important thing to remember is to keep your insurance cover up to date. If you’re not sure what your policy covers, be sure to check it now.