Time to tackle mould
Its winter, which means its mould season and there is nothing that mould likes more than finding a warm, wet part of your home to grow in. Not only is it unsightly, it can also cause structural damage as well as serious health complications in some people.
Its your responsibility to ensure that your home is mould-free. If youre found to have not taken adequate steps to prevent it, you may be in breach of your tenancy agreement for negligently causing damage. Our advice is to be proactive and keep an eye on places like the laundry, bathroom and kitchen, where it likes to hide.
Here are a few ideas to banish mould from your home:
- Keep the exhaust fan on or a window open when youre showering.
- Wipe down areas that are affected by condensation, like laundry and bathroom windows and walls.
- Regularly clean your exhaust fan.
- Use your extractor fan or open a window when cooking.
- Cover pots and pans when theyre in use.
- Open windows in other rooms of the house to let some fresh air in.
- If you use a dryer, make sure the laundry is well vented. Open outside doors to let fresh air in.
- Wipe off any mould you see with a cloth and water. To kill the mould growth, use a specially formulated fungicidal wash. You can pick these up at any hardware store (always follow the instructions).
Want to know more? Download a fact sheet from the Department of Health about dealing with mould