Property inspection hot spots
Quarterly inspections are an important part of what we do – they give us an opportunity to check a property on behalf of the owner and to make sure that our tenants are happy. They also allow us to pre-empt problems and offer first-hand suggestions to owners about improvements and maintenance that should occur.
We know the amount of time it takes to get ready for an inspection and we appreciate the hard work and effort that our tenants put in. To give you a hand, we’ve broken down suggested tasks into the four hot spots our property managers pay particular attention to. It’s not an exhaustive list, but it gives you a good idea of what we expect in the most important areas of a house.
- Clean oven and grill with oven cleaner.
- Clean the hotplate – but be careful of what cleaner you use: some abrasive sponges can cause damage to the surface.
- Give all cupboard doors a good wipe over, removing dust and cobwebs.
- Give your exhaust fan a clean by soaking it in hot, soapy water.
- Give every surface in your bathroom a good scrub, paying particular attention to the grout between tiles, where mould can grow.
- Wipe your glass shower screen and mirrors with glass spray.
- Give your toilet a thorough clean.
- Don’t forget to clean the exhaust fan the same way you did in the kitchen.
- Vacuum all floors.
- Mop tiled areas.
- f your carpet is stained or marked we suggest hiring a professional to give it a proper clean (this should be done every 12 months).
- Mow, edge and weed all the lawns.
- Remove all weeds and grass from garden beds and in between pavers.
- Sweep paths, patio and driveway.
- Remove oil stains on your driveway or around your barbecue.
- Remove all cobwebs from around the property.
- Give flyscreens and windows a wash, inside and out.
If you’re ever unsure of what’s expected during a property inspection, please feel free to touch base with your property manager – they’re there to help.