Is your home secure?
From July the 1st this year all rental properties in W.A. must comply with the Minimum Security Standards specified in the Residential Tenancies Act.
Does your home measure up? Here are 5 important things to check.
1. Main entry door must have a deadlock or security door meeting the current Australian Standards.
2. All other external doors must have a deadlock.
3. If an external door can’t have a deadlock installed there must be a patio bolt lock or security door to the current Australian Standards.
4. All windows are to be fitted with a lock (not necessarily a key lock) that prevents the window from being opened from the outside.
5. An external light must be installed over the main entry door and this is to be operable from the inside.