Facts about mould
Unfortunately mould is a problem in a lot of rental properties, especially in the lead-up to spring. While its tenants responsibility to keep everything in check, there are things owners can do to help.
What is mould?
Mould is a type of fungus (in the same family as mushrooms and yeast) that needs dust, dirt or organic matter to grow. Its generally black, grey, green or white and can be found in poorly ventilated areas of your home. It can smell and also cause respiratory problems in some people.
What owners can do:
- Install extractor fans in the bathroom, laundry and kitchen.
- Use high-gloss paint on walls and ceilings this will inhibit mould growth (its harder for mould to grab onto).
- Ensure that any leaks in the property are fixed as soon as possible. Water leakage in the roof and wall cavities provides the perfect breeding ground for mould.
- Ensure that your property has working windows, particularly those that can be locked while remaining several centimetres open.
- Provide landscaping to ensure that water is able to drain away from the foundations of the house. Mould loves anywhere that is damp and dark, including outside in the garden.
Would you like Rentwest to organise a Mould and Damp report for your property? Contact your property manager today to book one in.