10 ways to keep your cool this summer
While we cant do anything about the oncoming onslaught of hot weather, we can do a few things to save money on power bills and keep our cool.
- Keep the hot air out during the day by shutting all doors, windows and curtains. Throw them open in the cool air of the mornings and evenings.
- Ask yourself, Do I really need to put the air conditioner on? Sometimes just using a fan will do the trick.
- Set your air conditioner to 24 degrees during the summer months. Every degree lower will increase your power bill.
- Drink plenty of water our summers are particularly brutal, which means you need to stay hydrated. You cant sweat (and, therefore, cool down) if youre dehydrated.
- Why pay to cool rooms that are empty? Close doors to rooms that are not in use to keep cool air on the living spaces.
- Take cold showers it may be simple but its effective! A three-minute shower works like a charm.
- Cook outside as if we need a reason to have a barbecue! Cooking inside heats up the house, so head outdoors.
- Turn off devices not in use a lot of us spend more time outdoors during the summer, so turn off those electronics that are on standby. Keep in mind that everything with a transformer generates heat.
- If your home has a pool make sure you keep the water level topped up and chemicals tested. To ensure the pool is safe check levels regularly.
- If it’s been a particularly hot day hand water gardens and lawns. Don’t water in the heat of the day.