The long, hot days of summer are certainly upon us! Contrary to popular belief, you can rack up big energy bills during the warmer months with the two worst energy wasters being air conditioners and fridges.
Here are a energy-saving tips to help keep your power bills down without sacrificing your comfort.
- Keep your curtains and blinds closed during the day and open them up the cool of the night.
- Make sure any draughts (under doors or windows) are fixed. If you notice you have warm air coming in through gaps, let us know and we’ll make the necessary repairs.
- Pedestal fans and ceiling fans are energy-efficient ways to keep cool. You can reduce your air conditioner usage by using a strategically placed fan.
- If you use an air conditioner, keep your room temperature at 24°C. Lowering the temperature by just one degree can increase your energy consumption by 5% to 10%.
- Have a BBQ on hot summer days or nights to keep the temperature down inside your house.
- Got a second beer fridge? Don’t run it all the time. Turn it off when it’s not in use.
- Check your fridge seals. If you notice that there are gaps or cracks in the rubber, replace them. This will greatly improve the energy efficiency of your fridge.