Five winter maintenance tasks to do now
Winter is coming. Now is the time to get some proactive maintenance done. Prepare your property for the cold, rainy months ahead by doing these five things:
- Prune to keep power lines clear. Trees should be at least two and a half metres clear of powerlines. In most cases this is the homeowners responsibility.
- Clean your gutters. Gutters trap a lot of leaf and garden debris over the long, hot spring and summer. Its essential to give gutters a good clean so that rainwater can be diverted away from your house. If you leave your gutters clogged for too long, damage can be caused to your fascia, eaves and roof.
- Check the condition of your roof. Broken or loose roof tiles can cause significant water damage and heat loss.
- Service exhaust fans and ventilation. Toxic mould loves winter especially the warm, wet areas of your house like the kitchen, laundry and bathroom. Check to ensure that exhaust fans are working and that windows can be opened easily.
- Organise an air conditioner check-up. Beat the summer rush and book in your air conditioner for its annual check-up during the cooler months.