There are a lot of things to consider when moving. You need to consider the change to your daily routine; you need to pack up the contents of your life, and you need to get used to the idea of living somewhere new. Its no wonder that moving house is one of the most stressful life events.
While youre busy organising and packing there is another thing to consider; changing address information. People often overlook this step, but we cant stress its importance.
If youre packing at the moment, stop. Grab a pen and some paper and make a list of the businesses and service providers youll need to contact. To make things easier, weve made a checklist to help you get started with changing your address.
The checklist for moving house address information is vital in maintaining ties of communication. Below are some contacts to include in your list:
- Your medical professionals. Inform your current doctor that you are moving. If you can no longer attend their practice, perhaps they can refer you to a colleague in your new area.
- Your present employer. You should let your employer know your new address to enable them to keep their records up to date and for forwarding any documents.
- Your credit card companies. Identity theft is a serious matter. Letting your credit card companies know that you are changing address information makes it easier to fight such crimes.
- Your bank. Your financial institution should be notified of your new address so that their records can be updated.
- Your utility, phone and internet providers. Notify these providers early. They need to know your new address so they can install their services before you move in.
- Your insurance companies. Help your insurance companies (car insurance, health insurance, and life insurance) update their records by giving them your new address. This will make the processing of your policies a lot easier.
- Your school. It is important for your childs school to have the correct contact information on file in case of an emergency.
- People who provide paid services. Notify regular babysitters, pet sitters, groomers, gardeners and cleaners of your move. Give them your new details and have a chat about the likelihood of continuing to use them in your new location.
- Others. Also, inform the new occupants of your old property of your new address. This way they can forward information to you if need be.
Letting these people know about your changing address information enables you to have a smoother transition into your new home. Do you have any other people we should add to the list? Let us know in the comments.